[LARTC] Netfilter & iproute - marking packets

Howzit guys,

I've just subsribed to the list, so I don't know if I'll get flamed for
not checking the archives first if there is any.

Anyway, here's the problem i've got.

I have a box with a public IP on eth1 that hooks onto the router for a
leased line.

The LAN has a windows XP (YAY!!!) box with a USB adsl modem (that's why
it isn't on the linux box) I can also use as a default gateway for the
linux box.

Now here's where it gets interesting, I want to forward any browsing to
the XP box so that I can get the advantage of the fast DSL line. And
anything needing a static address ie. Mail MX, remote admin etc. to go
through the router.

Here's my setup at the moment.

Linux box has a default gateway of the router, then I've read the
section in the howto that's the same as the subject. So that parkets
with a dport of 80 are being marked with a 1 and then I've got a ip
rule that says fwmarks of 1 must lookup proxy. And proxy's default route
points to the XP box. But it doesn't work, if I do the same with dport
25 but I use the OUTPUT chain then it uses the ADSL ip.

I hope this makes sence, cuz I've prolly not just confused all of you
but myself too.

Here's the rules that i'm using for extra reference
---------------------------
[root@xxxx root]# ip rule ls
0:      from all lookup local
32765:  from all fwmark        1 lookup proxy
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup 253
---------------------------
[root@xxxx root]# ip route show
196.xx.xx.x/30 dev eth1  scope link
192.168.0.0/22 dev eth0  scope link
127.0.0.0/8 dev lo  scope link
default via 196.xx.xx.x dev eth1
---------------------------
[root@xxxx root]# ip route show table proxy
default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth0
---------------------------
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
MARK       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpt:snews MARK set 0x1
MARK       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp
dpt:https MARK set 0x1
MARK       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:www
MARK set 0x1
MARK       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:www
MARK set 0x1
---------------------------

Notice that currently I am not use the PREROUTING chain because that
gives no results at all.

Also I have checked that
IP: advanced router (CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER) [Y/n/?]
IP: policy routing (CONFIG_IP_MULTIPLE_TABLES) [Y/n/?]
IP: use netfilter MARK value as routing key (CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_FWMARK)
[Y/n/?]
is compiled into the kernel, and the modules are loaded.

Please guys, any help would be greatly appreciated

--
   Riaan Annandale
   Client Services: Corporate Support Engineer
   TISCALI (PTY) LTD
   THE COMMUNICATION COMPANY
   42 Wierda Road West, Wierda Valley, Sandton
   Mobile :
   Office :  +27 11 286 5014
   Fax :
   E-Mail : Riaan.Annandale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   http://www.tiscali.co.za
   Disclaimer: This email is considered a business record and is
   therefore property of Tiscali. This email, and any files transmitted
   with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
   individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication
   represents the originator's personal views and opinions, which do not
   necessarily reflect those of Tiscali. If you are not the original
   recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the
   intended recipient, be advised that you have this email in error, and
   that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
   email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error,
   please immediately notify disclaimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx