[LARTC] Unclarified issue

Hi all,
Just finished reading and re-reading the advanced routing how-to. This this is marvelous!!! Thank you all that spent your
time and devoted it to such a great paper! However there is something that I am missing from the picture. By default each
interface is bundled with the pfifo_fast that prioritizes the packets based on TOS. If for say we do this:
# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root tbf rate 100kbit latency 100ms urst 2048
Do we actually lose the whole point of TOS? Or there is stil an underlying filter somewhere in the kernel that will take
care of the TOS scheduling just like pfifo_fast did?
Also in the following example:
# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: prio
We automatically create three handles 1:1 1:2 1:3, with the default priomap. However what happens to traffic that goes down
1:1 if there is no qdisc attached to it? Does it get dequeued right off the back or there is again something similar to
pfifo_fast waiting for it?

Cheers!