Re: [LARTC] shaping (policing) on a bridge

On Friday 02 May 2003 11:54, Girts Folkmanis wrote:
> Hello!
>
> > Policing incoming traffic can be done with the infress qdisc and u32 +
> > policers.  A policer is some sort of tbf in the filter.  This is limited
> > in usage.  You can only limit some traffic.
> >
> > If you want to shape incoming bandwidth with htb or cbq, you need the
> > ingress qdisc, or shape the outgoing traffic on the other nic.  This can
> > be more complex, you can share bandwidth between users in a controlled
> > way.
>
> Thanks for the answer, but can you point me to what documentation to
> read to do the shaping on _bridge level_? Lots of information about
> shaping on IP level are around, but I have found none on the lower
> level shaping.
Shaping on a bridge is the same as shaping on a router.  So there is no
special configuration needed to shape on a bridge.  The u32 can be used on a
router and on a bridge to match the packets.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"