Re: [LARTC] howto equalize two uplink?

To the best of my knowledge or understanding of this topic.

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 08:39, Kertész Viktor wrote:
> May I ask you something?
> What is the difference between these:
> 10.5.0.0/16  proto static
>         nexthop via 10.0.1.6  dev eth1 weight 1
>         nexthop via 10.0.1.8  dev eth1 weight 1

With the patches proto static is supposed to keep the routes in the
routing table regardless of the routes existence.

> 10.5.0.0/16
>         nexthop via 10.0.1.6  dev eth1 weight 1
>         nexthop via 10.0.1.8  dev eth1 weight 1

Without proto static if one of the gateways is a PPP connection or PPPOE
then that gateway will be removed if the connection goes down.

In the event that you are using routers like I was, where it's rare the
connection between router and network (LAN) will be interrupted it's
more of a mood issue.

With PPP or PPPOE connections it can be a must if you want to routes to
remain until the connection is restored.

However this can cause a further problem as it tries to send packets via
a dead gateway.

I would look further into the dead gateway detection for more info on
this. I am pretty sure it pertains more to that than the concept of
having multiple uplinks/internet providers.

I could be wrong, and if I am please someone set me straight.

Thanks

Otherwise that should be the explanation you are seeking?

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.