Re: [LARTC] CONNBYTES

Hi Martin,

>  : Q1b: Is it possible to set an id as a fuction of the
>  : src IP's? Could I mark with id 256*zzz+www when
>  : src IP is xxx.yyy.zzz.www ?
>  : This because I would like to help iptables not using
>  : too much ticks, and it will reduse my code.
>
> I wonder if you might make good use of the hashing functions supported by
> tc filter:
>
>   http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.adv-filter.hashing.html

After looked at this again, I think I can use it with filters, but
not able to hash classes.

> Instead of doing this, though you might find it easier to put an SFQ qdisc
> in the leaf HTB class and let SFQ do the hard work for you.  Then you
> don't need the tc filter hashing.

I though of that, and I will use SFQ, but not in this way. This
is because I want to do bandwidth limiting on three different
levels. 1: Custummers can have more than one IP, but in sum
they should not have more bandwidth than another custommer
that pays equal but with only one IP (machine). 2: Custommers
with more than one IP can priorize between his IP's. 3: Different
services should be limited, so that mail will get more bandwith
than Kazaa, not on user level, but global level.

This I think have accomplished by making ten classes under root,
than I call: pop, smtp, www, ftp, kazza(ink. winmx aso), aso.
Under these classes I got custommer classes, and under this
I got leafs with custommers different IP's, someone with one,
and others with ten IP's. No matter how many they got, they who
payed equal should have same bandwidth regardless how many
IP's they got. To filter on IP I use U32 at the last bits in src address.

Do you think I have done it "right" enough or would you do anything
different?

> You can separate your users by large classes, and make some special high
> priority classes for picky users or yourself!

not good enough for me as you can see

>  : Q2: I am running 2.4.20 with static route patch,
>  : and would like to patch this with
>  : connbytes-1.0a-patches.tgz , any reason I shouldn't?
>
> I don't know......

Not me either. Wonder what the other Martin thinks.

>  : Q2b: Does it exist a connbytes patch for 2.4.20 that
>  : is allready pached with static route?
>
> I don't know this one either.

It could hurt to try.

Kjell