Re: [LARTC] full policy routing

 : hello martin, thank you for your quick reply.

My pleasure.

 : (the default routing table is empty for me, but is listed in
 : /etc/iproute2/rt_tables)

True indeed....I guess I just don't know if it's a special table or just a
convention.  I have never used it.  Any others on the list use the default
table (table 253)?

 : i want to use "as much" rules as i can, meaning that the main table
 : will only have one route to my network that come from networks not
 : defined in the rules.

I'm not quite sure I understand this completely.  Do you wish to prefer
the RPDB for route selection?  I don't see any technical reason you
couldn't configure one routing table for each class of outbound route, but
it seems somewhat counterintuitive.  Then again, perhaps I do not
understand your desired goal.  Explain more--sounds like an interesting
approach.

 : now, about the local table. if the local table is the first one
 : consulted when the router is to determine a path for a packet, i dont
 : want that to be filled with rules that is not defined from that
 : network, but the rules maybe override that? when i looked in my local
 : table, i just see broadcast address and local connected addresses, as
 : you also said.

The local table has only broadcast, local, and nat routes.  There will not
be routes for remote networks--try it, and you'll get:

RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

 : any idea? it seems best to go with "ip route flush table main", btw,
 : you also reminded me to clean the other tables too when re-populating
 : the tables, i forgot it. thank you. ;)

I have been bitten by that one before, too!  ;)

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx