Re: [LARTC] Two-way Shared Traffic shaping and NAT

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 11:17:49AM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:
> Devik is developping something that can help you.  It's a virtual qdisc that
> holds all packets from all queues before they are queued in the real queue.
> From Devik : " It allows you to implement cross device bandwidth sharing.",
> just wat you need ;-)

That's good -- I've recently come across the need to do more than that though.
In the situation where a proxy server is running on the Linux router which does
the traffic controlling, I would like to be able to add the traffic going to
the localhost for clients requesting web pages.

I have no desire to shape traffic (severely) from the proxy servers to the
clients (on eth1).  But traffic from the Internet (eth0) to eth1 is usually
shaped, except when they use the proxy server (which is encouraged).  In that
case, the proxy server requests traffic and sometimes overloads the incoming
pipe.

I know nothing can be done about this at this point (not in an intelligent way)
but I was wondering if anyone is working on a user-space (or kernel-space for
that matter) wholistic bandwidth manager (where interfaces are just a filtering
option).
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)