Re: [LARTC] Nano.Txt with PPP

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 13:15:45 -0500 (EST)
mok2 <mok2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Abbreviations:
> IFI		internal interface
> IPI		IP address of internal interface
> NMI		netmask for the internal interface
> IFE1, IFE2	external interfaces
> IPE1, IPE2	external IP address
> NWE1, NWE2	external network address
> NME1, NME2	mask for the external network (number of bits, like in /24)
> BRD1, BRD2	broadcast address for external network
> GWE1, GWE2	gateway for external interface
>
> I am tyring to setup a gw with a cable modem and a dialup connection.
> Following the nano.txt, i cant figure out how to define ppp0
>
> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>           inet addr:166.50.32.206  P-t-P:166.50.32.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
>           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:4 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0
>           RX bytes:40 (40.0 b)  TX bytes:92 (92.0 b)
>
> since there is no  broadcast or network address that i can tell.
>
> what do i put for these variables..

Unfortunately, this isn't such an easy topic that you can just plug
and play, specially when your situation is so much different then mine
was when I wrote it. I mean, you'll have to bother about the setting
of the variables only when it comes to use them. For instance, in
iptables, you wouldn' use the SNAT but rather the MASQUERADE target,
which doesn't require any IP. On the other hand, if you have an
dynamic IP, you will also have to set the routings as soon as the IP
is known, i.e., yafter ou have connected and the provider told you
what's your IP for now. PPP doesn't imply necessarily a dynamic IP,
it's just point-to-point, so I'm not really sure if all this still
makes sense for you, because you'll have to reconfigure your network
anyway as soon as the connection drops. But if you have a static IP,
you do know all of those things. Also, be aware that the use of both
lines requires a big amount of traffic, which I was not able to
generate alone. I just can't imagine how you are going to route heavy
traffic through a dialup line.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx