Re: [LARTC] arp-proxy and advanced routing problem

	Hello,

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Arne Hueggenberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i have a problem with my setup.
> The box has 3 interfaces
> to the cable modem,
> to the dsl modem
> to the switch serving our other boxes
>
> all boxes on the switch have static ips
> behind the cable modem is a subnet with hosts with static ips on the sae
> subnet
> in behind the cable modem is also the default
>
> the arp-proxying is done between the cable interface and the switch interface
>
> the third goes to the adsl modem
> we do masqing on this interface
>
> now, some of the boxes on the switch are supposed to go out over the adsl
> line, and some are supposed to go via the gateway behind the cable modem.
> default route via the adsl, and a seperate table for those supposed to go via
> the cable.
>
> Now, when we add that table everything works as its supposed to.
> But if a windows box reboots it suddenly complains the switch interface had
> its ip and doesent configure the interface
> if we remove the table it boots fine
>
> Anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

	It seems the proxy ARP feature is activated for wrong route.
See the following URL and try to differentiate your devices by the
medium they are attached to. Then your router will know that the
target host can see the broadcast probes and will not reply for them.
For this to work, you need correct routes. The problem can be that
the proxy_arp feature does not know that two devices are attached
to same medium and the ARP reply should not be generated.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/#medium_id

As I can't fully understand your settings, if you have some questions,
please provide some settings. And of course, the main thing: how
many distinct mediums you have. Read medium_id.txt for more
information.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>