Re: [LARTC] SFQ + RED

 > On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 11:53:10AM -0500, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
 > > I've asked this before, but does anyone feel technically inclined
 > > enough to try swapping in a RED queue for the per-bucket queuing done
 > > by SFQ?  If SFQ builds a series of 'sessions' to be given fair use of
 > > available bandwidth, using RED to slow down those that are building up
 > > too fast would smooth things out.

I don't think this is necessary.  As it is now, when you enqueue a
packet in a full SFQ queue it drops from the tail of the longest
subqueue.  If you have substantial competition for the link then
your subqueue won't be allowed to grow very long to begin with.
The random variation in demand from other flows will have the effect
of jittering the maximum length of your subqueue, which is pretty
similar to what you experience with RED, isn't it?