Re: [LARTC] Solved: Using more than 1 Internet Line

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:45:49 +0000 (GMT)
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
>
> > Thanks Christoph (and Julian!), by happy coincidence this is exactly what
> > I'm looking for today.
> >
> > In nano.txt you say the firewall, for iptables, must be stateful. Of course,
> > ipchains doesn't do stateful. I'm looking at using Julian's patches with a
>
>         Assume that this is recommendation (should).

I was reviewing my notes and now I believe, that statefulness should
not strictly be required, though at least for netfilter, I think it is
very recommendable. What is required is connection tracking, as
Julian's patches use their information for routing decisions. If you
use the netfilter snat target, actually it shouldn't make a
difference, as far as I can see. Maybe there is one, when using the
masquerade target, because there might be a second call to the routing
system, but I tend to believe that not. It's possible that I'm
completely wrong, but I think it's definitively worth a try.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx