Re: [LARTC] Solved: Using more than 1 Internet Line

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> Thanks Christoph (and Julian!), by happy coincidence this is exactly what
> I'm looking for today.

> In nano.txt you say the firewall, for iptables, must be stateful. Of course,
> ipchains doesn't do stateful. I'm looking at using Julian's patches with a
> 2.2.20 kernel and ipchains and masquerading. Does anyone know offhand
> whether I should:

> 1. Expect this to work?

Yes.

> 2. Expect this to get weird?

Maybe. But that's not related to 2.2, it can happen with 2.4 as well.

> If 2:
>
> - What weirdness should I look out for?

OpenSSH sets up the TOS fields *after* authenticating. This breaks the
entries in the route-cache, as they are keyed on source, destination and TOS
field.

> - What, in theory, is the statefulness accomplishing in this context?

Don't really know, as I haven't needed it. (I've set up a similar system
with only 2.2, never even so much as thinking about 2.4).

Doei, Arthur. (Oh... in my opinion the firewalling is an optional extra.)

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt