[LARTC] Counters / measurement

Are the counters shown by, for example, tc -s qdisc accurate (w.r.t.
time) and/or useful for measuring the effects of the QoS/TC options
currently set?  I'm setting up some RRDTool data collection routines in
Perl to graph the effects of our QoS & TC decisions but I'm not sure if
grabbing 'bytes' & 'borrowed' from the qdiscs (where applicable) is
sufficient or will actually reflect what is happening on the wire.

The other option I considered was to use fwmark filters only and have
the same detection rules on both prerouting and outgoing tables to
measure how many packets 'wanted' to go out and how many got out at any
point in time.

Thank you for your thoughts and time.

PS, big thanks to Stef Coene for his website with all of its tools,
including monitor.pl.  Since someone will end up asking, its at
http://users.belgacom.net/staf/
--
Michael T. Babcock
http://www.fibrespeed.net/~mbabcock/