Re: [LARTC] I don't believe all this advanced routing stuff is real!

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Greg Scott wrote:

[snip, that problem was fixed]

> Now I'm really confused.  Maybe the online help gives me a clue:
>
> # /sbin/ip help
> Usage: ip [ OPTIONS ] OBJECT { COMMAND | help }
> where  OBJECT := { link | addr | route | rule | neigh | tunnel |
>                    maddr | mroute | monitor }
>        OPTIONS := { -V[ersion] | -s[tatistics] | -r[esolve] |
>                     -f[amily] { inet | inet6 | ipx | dnet | link } |
> -o[neline]}
>
> So let's try a few things:
>
> # /sbin/ip -V
> ip utility, iproute2-ss000305
>
> This seemed to work as advertised.
>
> # /sbin/ip -s
> # /sbin/ip -r
>
> So -V does what the online help says it does, but -s and -r generate some
> kind of syntax error.

The ip tool is somewhat finicky in its input syntax. It does not at all
behave like your usual Unix tools but is modeled more like Cisco IOS's
commands. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is debatable. However, the
-s and -r options only apply when an object and/or command for that object
have been specified.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt