Re: [LARTC] I don't believe all this advanced routing stuff is real!

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 10:18:08PM -0600, Greg Scott wrote:

> As I understand things, this is the more or less official HOWTO for the
> advanced routing stuff.
>
> Well - how come none of it works???

Don't know if it's what you're running into, but certain parts of 'ip'
depend on certain options being compiled into the kernel - so some things
not working is probably because the Red Hat version of the kernel you're
using doesn't support them. Whether Red Hat has provided those functions in
modules I don't know - not sure whether they are all module choices if not
compiled in.

In my beginner's opinion, that HOWTO would really benefit from a description
of precisely which kernel options need to be chosen for various kernel
versions. It does mention that you have to have the right options included,
but then doesn't specifically list them. On the other hand, in three of four
2.2.19 systems, I've managed to include them somehow and all 'ip' functions
appear operational. In the third, 'ip' only partially works - fortunately
it's a system where I don't need it.

Anyway, I'd recommend gathering what hints you can, and rolling your own
kernel. I've always needed features that distro kernels don't support, and
never cared to waste resources running kernels supporting features I don't
need.

Whit
@transpect.com