[LARTC] is HTB better than CBQ

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:07:04PM -0500, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> On Sun, 2001-11-11 at 15:36, bert hubert wrote:
> > In other news, I added a section on HTB,
> > http://ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-10.html#ss10.2
> > which you should read if you thing CBQ is complicated. And I added a link to
> > docum.org, which you should visit.
>
> According to the HTB patch, HTB stands for Hierarchical Token Bucket.

Ah! I looked a bit, but not too well it appears. Will update the HOWTO.

> I guess the impression I get from what you wrote is that HTB is good in
> simple cases, and CBQ is good in complex cases?  It might be worth
> explaining a situation in which HTB is inadequate but CBQ would do the
> job.  I'm not totally clear on that. :)

Hmm, well, I'm trying very hard to understand CBQ because I need to give a
lecture about it. And I am not succeeding. HTB currently has some
performance design issues, which you can read on the site I mention in the
HOWTO, but these appear to be resolveable.

Right now, if your link sharing needs can be handled by CBQ.init (also
mentioned in the HOWTO), by all means use it. I suspect CBQ may scale better
to larger amounts of bandwidths and complexer situations. However, if what
you want is too difficult for CBQ.init and you have to type the scripts by
hand, HTB wins -hands down-.

HTB will get there (it is not yet in the kernel for example), but may have
some problems today - although authors tend to overestimate the problems
their inefficiencies will cause. Right now HTB is polled too often to see if
it has a packet available.

But just try it!

                     http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/

The patch is very modular and does not touch other parts of the kernel. In
fact, it could be distributed as a separate program, you just need to have
the kernel headers available.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People