[LARTC] Routing setup problem.

Hi,

We have a setup where our intranet machines have private IP addresses and we
are connected to the internet through a Linux router which acts as a gateway
also.

One interface of gateway is directly connected to the ISP. This interface
obviously has a public IP address. (eth1) 202.144.29.194 network address
202.144.29.192 mask 255.255.255.248
Another is connected to a internal hub to which all internal machines are
connected. (eth0) 192.168.1.1 address

This setup works fine.

Now we have a requirement where we have to add one more machine with a
public IP address. (202.144.29.195)
I tried adding this machine to the hub and setting it's IP address. However,
I could not get the routing to work fine. Our ISP has installed a unit on
our side which has the same network address as the new m/c IP address. (IP
202.144.29.193).

Will this kind of a routing work? My ISP told me that a public IP segment
cannot be the same as a private IP segment. IS this true? In my case, eth0
is a segment which has 202.144.29.195 as well as 192.168 machines.

Can I set the route as:

192.168.1.1						eth0
202.144.29.195						eth0
192.168.1.0		255.255.255.0			eth0
202.144.29.192		255.255.255.248		eth1
default			202.144.29.193			eth1

Is this not possible or is anything wrong in my setup?

the other option is that I put another interface card on my gateway and give
it another public IP address. In this case, packets coming in from the
network will be divided into different segment depending on which IP address
is the packet destined for. Does the network address of the 2 segments HAVE
to be different in this case?
Can I use the same network address /netmask or do I have to subnet to get
packets correctly ?

Please reply soon.

Thanks,
Sameer