Re: [LARTC] On the question of how big a machine you need

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Don Cohen wrote:

> I just scp'd about 15MB over that connection (took about 7-8 min) and
> watched the load average while it was happening.  It converged to zero.

It would. The routing is done in kernelspace and therefore not counted
against the load average.

However, given the relative simplicity of dealing with network traffic at
speeds lower than (say) 100 Mbit/s, any system with a PCI bus and a
processor that has a clock multiplier on the memory-bus clock should be able
to quite easily route at line rate. Thus, anything over a PII-233 should
pose zero problems whatsoever, whatever you want to do.

Doei, Arthur. (Ofcourse, I'm not talking GigEther here... that's an entirely
               different ballpark. Standard PCI can't even really keep up
               with *that*)

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt