[LARTC] On the question of how big a machine you need

A few days ago someone was asking whether 100MHz pentium was enough to
do what looked like a small routing job.  My guess at the time was
that much less was needed but I didn't have any data.
Now I do.  I have a 486 acting as a firewall on a .5Mb DSL line.
For what it's worth, dmesg says:
 Calibrating delay loop... 16.38 BogoMIPS
 Memory: 14572k/16640k
I just scp'd about 15MB over that connection (took about 7-8 min) and
watched the load average while it was happening.  It converged to zero.