Re: [LARTC] Priotizing Bandwith but without Shaping the Bandwith

"Wingtung.Leung" wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Alexandra Alvarado wrote:
>
> > I have Red Hat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16-22, and it doesn't support
> > "mangle" options, how can i do the same "Priotizing udp traffic over tcp
> > but without Shaping the Bandwith" with ipchains and cbq or only cbq?
> >
> > "Marek L. Kozak" wrote:
> > >
> > > Try this:
> > > iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -t udp -j TOS --set-tos
> > > Maximize-Throughput
>
> (Please quote correctly, and type your own text *beneath* the quoted text.
> It makes the message much more readable.)
>
> First of all, I don't think setting TOS field will change behaviour of the
> network queue, most routers just ignore that field. And even if it is used
> on the local Linux router, I don't think Alexandra wanted a high
> throughput for UDP traffic, but rather a low delay situation.
>
> Please try to describe in detail what you mean with "giving priority to
> UDP traffic over TCP traffic", and what you want to achieve.
>
> The HOWTO gives an example for splitting bandwith with unbounded classes,
> it might be good enough for your situation. Please try it first, and if it
> is not what you wanted, give the problems with that setup.
>
> I'm not sure, but I don't think ipchains (kernel 2.2) supports setting the
> TOS field. It doesn't matter, you don't really need a firewall marker, you
> can also redirect the traffic using the general u32 filter.
>
> --
> GnuPG public key: http://www.keyserver.net
> fingerprint = A3C4 DE50 712D 4FA8 C564  4D96 5E06 C9CC ECFA 19C5

Hi, I'm Alexandra

Well, as i say before, a i need that all traffic udp has priority over
tcp traffic, because i have to improve the voice quility over internet,
well now i'm upgrading to Red Hat 7.1 (kernel 2.4) to use TOS field, but
my question is if this sentence:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p udp -j TOS --set-tos
Maximize-Throughput

works or not, and how can i verify it?

Until know i use CBQ, but with cbq i only asign specific bandwith to my
clients using ip address, but i don't know how to prioritize traffic udp
over tcp but without limiting the bandwith using CBQ.

Thanks

A.A.A.A.B.