Re: [LARTC] Priotizing Bandwith but without Shaping the Bandwith

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Alexandra Alvarado wrote:

> I have Red Hat 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16-22, and it doesn't support
> "mangle" options, how can i do the same "Priotizing udp traffic over tcp
> but without Shaping the Bandwith" with ipchains and cbq or only cbq?
>
> "Marek L. Kozak" wrote:
> >
> > Try this:
> > iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -t udp -j TOS --set-tos
> > Maximize-Throughput

(Please quote correctly, and type your own text *beneath* the quoted text.
It makes the message much more readable.)

First of all, I don't think setting TOS field will change behaviour of the
network queue, most routers just ignore that field. And even if it is used
on the local Linux router, I don't think Alexandra wanted a high
throughput for UDP traffic, but rather a low delay situation.

Please try to describe in detail what you mean with "giving priority to
UDP traffic over TCP traffic", and what you want to achieve.

The HOWTO gives an example for splitting bandwith with unbounded classes,
it might be good enough for your situation. Please try it first, and if it
is not what you wanted, give the problems with that setup.

I'm not sure, but I don't think ipchains (kernel 2.2) supports setting the
TOS field. It doesn't matter, you don't really need a firewall marker, you
can also redirect the traffic using the general u32 filter.

--
GnuPG public key: http://www.keyserver.net
fingerprint = A3C4 DE50 712D 4FA8 C564  4D96 5E06 C9CC ECFA 19C5