Re: Re: [LARTC] How to use tc to limit bandwidth of a special IP in LAN

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 07:10:00PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, streeterk wrote:
>
> > Nothing like trial and error, but cone on, let's not have have each person
> > individually reinvent the wheel.  Many man hours are wasted trying to figure
> > out how the most basic commands work by experimentation, when it would be so
> > easy to just make a clear explanation of them in the documentation.  Some
> > examples of the command line would be most helpful.
> >
> > While Linux, in general is not for the faint of heart, the doccumentation
> > for this particular set of tools is overly cryptic.
>
> Maybe I'm using a different iproute2 package than you, but my iproute2
> came with a massive 60 page manual: ip-cref.dvi.  It really is way more
> documentation than you get with most tools.
>
> I've often cursed iproute2 for its command syntax, but the root problem
> always turns out to be my own ignorance of routing and internetworking.

Yes. I have these .tex files as well. Much beter than scanning through the
source code...

"ip" is kind of easy to follow (maybe because I already know what I'm looking
for) but when it comes down to "tc", my head spins. Take the following (easy)
example:

tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:1 classid 1:2 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate 1Mbit \
allot 1514 cell 8 weight 100Kbit prio 3 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 split 1:0 \
defmap c0

A small note on all these options would have saved me a lot of guess-work.

But anyway, don't take me wrong. I think that iproute2 is one of the coolest
networking tools I've ever seen.

Ramin