Re: [LARTC] ip_alias??

Jasper Spaans wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 10:57:36PM -0700, streeterk wrote:
>
> > What happened to ip_alias.  I found some reference to it being replaced in
> > 2.4 Kernels, but replaced with what?  Anyone know of some good
> > documentation on this subject??
>
> It has disappeared, however, its functionality hasn't (at least, partially).

[--snip--]

> (Well, some pitfalls do exist, you cannot firewall on these interfaces
> anymore, however, you'll have to rewrite your rules anyway because of the
> transition to iptables, so that shouldn't be a problem)

Guys, excuse my ignorance, but can you point me to the original source
of that information? It's the very first time I heard of this and
actually I am still able to use something like 'ifconfig eth0:0 x.x.x.x
up'. And AFAIK it was never possible to use alias interfaces in
firewalling.

Maybe I missed some important information for years? (not impossible IMO
;-)

Juri