Re: [LARTC] ip_alias??

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 10:57:36PM -0700, streeterk wrote:

> What happened to ip_alias.  I found some reference to it being replaced in
> 2.4 Kernels, but replaced with what?  Anyone know of some good
> documentation on this subject??

It has disappeared, however, its functionality hasn't (at least, partially).

First of all, install the new iproute package, urls can be found in the
howto.

You can now assign multiple addresses to one interface using something like

$ ip addr add 192.168.12.34/24 dev eth0

One thing to notice is that you will not have eth0:0 interfaces anymore.

The second step is verifying your interface has picked up the change:
you can see the addresses of your interfaces using

$ ip addr

Which now shows on my machine

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1350 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
    inet 10.0.0.7/24 brd 10.255.255.255 scope global eth0
    inet 192.168.12.34/24 scope global eth0

The last thing you might want to know is how to get rid of this extra
address:

$ ip addr del 192.168.12.34/24 dev eth0

does the trick.

For more information, please read the iproute documentation.

(Well, some pitfalls do exist, you cannot firewall on these interfaces
anymore, however, you'll have to rewrite your rules anyway because of the
transition to iptables, so that shouldn't be a problem)

Regards,
--
  Q_.           Jasper Spaans <j@xxxxxxxx>
 `~\            http://jsp.ds9a.nl/