RE: [LARTC] Load Balancing with 2 uplinks

Hi there,

> I have been looking for a solution to this problem for quite a while,
> but most methods seem to be designed to address the inverse situation,
> where one server can be reached by more than one links. Is there a way
> to do this with the Linux 2.4?

I have the same problem. I found a message about something similar on this
list (mail titled Re: [LARTC] Combining bandwith of two or more ADSLs ?,
dated april 10, 2001) but this didn't work for me:

I once had traffic over 2 interfaces (2 pings to different systems) but
after stopping and restarting the ping, they both took the same interface
out. I also noted traffic coming in on interface 1 and going out of
interface 2 (don't know why).

If I had sufficient hardware, I think that I would insert several extra PC's
with routing-software (www.zebra.org, since gated dumps core on me) and get
BGP or OSPF:

+--------+        +--------+
| adsl-1 |        | adsl-2 |
+--------+        +--------+
     \                 /
      \               /
       \             /
        \           /
         \         /
          \       /
           \     /
         +--------+
         | proxy  |
         +--------+

+-----------------------+
| Lot of other machines |

I did notice that when you have 2 BGP-routers both advertising a default
gateway, the system only uses 1. If this one fails, it starts using the
second but it won't switch back when the original comes back up again. I
have not yet played with OSPF but in theory, this should allow for some
load-balancing too.

Clemens Sibon
--
Pettemerstraat 12A                                  T r I p l e
1823 CW Alkmaar                                         T