Re: [LARTC] Route 2 Internet connections on a local LAN

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Joel Kleppinger wrote:

> Ramin, you are my hero.

Not to rain on Ramin's parade, but there *have* been posts on this very
subject on this very mailinglist for which the archives can actually be
found at http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/ and in which archives the
relevant posts are
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2000q4/000091.html
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2000q4/000092.html
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2000q4/000153.html
http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2000q4/000156.html

> I've spent the last 6+ months off and on trying to figure this little
> problem out and then within an hour of posting the question to this mailing
> list, you respond with what I needed.

Isn't the internet great? Now to find someone to fix the light-metering
system in my old Canonet 28... :)

> I compiled iproute2
> then did the two ip lines described in that little HOWTO:
> ip ru add from my.DSL.ip.x lookup 4
> ip ro add 0.0.0.0/0 via my.DSL.ISP.gateway table 4

> And it worked.  Too sweet.

Ah, yes, that would be the minimal code to make these things work. The posts
from the archive mentioned above are somewhat more complete... :)

> Now to figure out exactly what that did, how to manipulate it for different
> situations, and see what security implications that might have opened up
> (since the box is supposed to be theoretically considered a "firewall").

In other words: time to read the manual. Which, admittedly, is not easy.
Good luck, and may the routing gods be with you.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt