Re: [LARTC] Setting up CBQ

Daniel Camacho wrote:

> Stef,
>
> Thank you so much for having to go through all this. I also want to know
> what do I need to enable in the kernel to have this working.  I'm using
> 2.4 kernel.
No problem, just cut-and-past from one of my scripts.  Realy, if you
wanna learn about, take a few PC's, put Linux on them and try ot out.
For fast setup, download my scripts (see link below) and adabt them to
your needs like I did in my previous mail.

Enable everything in the kernel (as module or build-in).  You can find
it as the last option in submenu "Networking Options".

> I'm a little confused to your following statement.  Do you mean I can't
> throttle incoming bandwidth at the same time as the outgoing bandwidth?
>
>  >For the upstream direction, you can of course using the same setup to
>  >throttle the output bandwidth of eth1 and eth2.  But you can't use them
>  >together : you can't say that eth2 needs allways 75% of upstream of the
>  >T1.
You can control outgoing bandwidth.  But when you are looking at the
upstream traffic, the data to the DMZ-zone is going out on the eth2 NIC
and the data to the office is going out on the eth1 NIC.  You can
control the data that's going out on ONE NIC, but you can't manage the
data together.  You can't say that the outgoing data on eth2 has to be
at least 75% of the data that's going out on NIC eth1.  There's no way
you can manage the two NIC's together.  You can try to control the
incoming data on NIC eth0 (with a few patches, you can do this with QOS,
but I never tried), but when you use NAT, you don't know wich data
coming in on NIC eth0 is going out on wich NIC because they are all
coming in to the ip-adres of NIC eth0.

Hop you understand what I'm trying to say.

--

Staf

More QOS info : http://users.belgacom.net/staf/