Re: [LARTC] pointopoint flag

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:29:30PM +0200, Guy Van Den Bergh wrote:

Even if you have a crossconnect cable between two hosts or routers, the medium inbetween is still broadcast and not point-to-point.

I know this discussion is going way too far into semantics, but as far as I know there is no such thing as point-to-point mode of ethernet.

You can disable arp and set static arp entries. Do that, plus a crossover cable
and full-duplex, and I'd have a very hard time calling your ethernet
anything but point-to-point. :)

The point was that it is a lot more complex than simply adding a route to the device instead of to the nexthop.
Let's remember that ethernet is by nature a broadcast medium and if you want it to behave like a point-to-point link you will have to be careful. Adding static arp entries has some drawbacks which you do not have on real point-to-point links.
In the end you are still trying to let a broadcast medium behave like a point-to-point link. Nothing more and nothing less.

Guy