Re: [LARTC] Tricking routes to load balance + transparent proxying?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:24:18 +0100, you wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:31:28 +0100, you wrote:

>/usr/sbin/ip route add default \
>                nexthop dev eth0 via 192.168.0.229 onlink \
>                nexthop dev eth0 via 192.168.0.230 onlink
>
> Note I've removed the "equalize" option. Anyway I think this option
>does NOTHING if you don't patch your kernel so it should be the same
>having it or not.

 I've left the "onlink" option because I don't know which really does.

> As I said this converts my machine in a load balancer based on (src
>ip, dst ip) pair.
>
> The problem is squid which always use the same IP for ALL
>connections. This breaks my balance :-(

 Well, thinking more deeply, it shoudn't break balance because dst ip
changes with each connection (to a different site, of course). But
anyway I'm not getting the expected results. Sometimes during a
period (2-3 mins, eg) all connections (different dst sites included)
are routed via gateway1, and the other periodod all again are routed
via gateway2. It's strange. In other times when I've made 5 pings to 5
differents sites they are routed alternatively via the two gateways,
which is the expected behaviour. It's strange. It seems to work or
don't work randomly... That's the reason I though squid was the
guilty, but I realized that the balance should work...

    ** RoMaN SoFt / LLFB **
       roman@xxxxxxxxxx
   http://pagina.de/romansoft