Re: [LARTC] Another newbyish question I'm afraid, -m state --statematters

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Paul Wouters wrote:

> I'd like to be able to deny all new connections to a firewall, with the
> exception of port 22 (sshd) and some ports I'd like to forward internally.

> However, it seems I can't make a rule that is using the state
> AND a source/dest port in there. Eg the following won't work:
>
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID --dport 22 -j DROP
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID --dport 25 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
>
> Anyone? :)

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 25 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -m state --state NEW,INVALID -j DROP

--sport and --dport need the -p tcp or -p udp flags to be set, as source and
destination ports may not make sense for certain protocols, most notably
ICMP.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt