[LARTC] iptables-table empty, can't get tc to work...

I have an ISDN connection here at my apartment and wanted to make sure
to have enuf bandwidth to play a game while one of my roommates is
surfing.
I compiled the 2.4 kernel for advanced routing and tos and iptables as
modules.

I have iptables v1.2 and when adding a rule and then doing iptables -L
the list is empty tho the rules are applied.

When I type:
tc qdisc add dev ippp0 root handle 1: cbq bandwidth 64kbit avpkt 1000
I get the error:
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

I found two good howto-sites but neither of them helps:
http://www.ittc.ukans.edu/~rsarav/howto/howto.html
http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Networking/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-9.html

I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanx in advance,