Re: [LARTC] I need some advice.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, billy wrote:

> Thanks fore your answer

My pleasure.

[snip]

> > > if there are some problems or recomandations I must have to take.
> >
> > NAT has a bit of a problem with certain protocols such as FTP. These are
> > mostly handled by the kernel, but there may be cases with new or custom
> > protocols that are not handled yet. You ought to be aware of that.
> > Furthermore, IPsec AH-mode does not work with NAT. IPsec ESP-mode does,
> > fortunately.

> Yes I new about the NAT problem, now what about masquerading?

Masquerading is NAT with port-translation thrown in. This enables multiple
IP addresses to be mapped to a single IP address. In 2.4 and the netfilter
and iptables documentation (at http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/)
masquerading is also called NAPT, Network Address and Port Translation.

> I can't find any diference, but there must be, or there the same thing?
> does masquerading have the same problem? I think so.

Yes, masquerading has the same problems.

> know what do you refer or meen with IPsec AH-mode and IPsec ESP-mode?

Look at the documentation for FreeS/WAN at http://www.freeswan.org/

IPsec is a protocol to do encryption and authentication of packets at the
IP-level. IPsec AH-mode provides only authentication, but authenticates
packet headers as well as their payload. This directly conflicts with NAT,
as NAT changes the packet headers. IPsec ESP-mode provides authentication as
well as encryption, but does not authenticate the outer packet's headers,
and therefore can be used over NAT-ed conections.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt