Re: [LARTC] <OT>

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 hesselsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Sorry for the off-topic question.
>
> I want to set the type of service (ToS) for all the traffic leaving my
> machine.  All out going traffic.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> ipchains?

Or even ipfwadm, if you're still at 2.0. Something like

/sbin/ipchains -A output -t 0x01 0x10

will set the minimum delay flag on every outgoing packet.

See also the (quite excellent) IPchains HOWTO by Rusty Russell.

Note: the question isn't all that off-topic. The route-cache Linux uses
is keyed on the triple <source address, destination address, type of service>.
I've already encountered a situation in which I *had* to whack the TOS bits
into submission in order to let connections be routed somewhat sanely.

Doei, Arthur. (And yes, that will end up in the FAQ, but not quite yet)

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt