Re: [LARTC] Multiple interfaces?

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Stefan Smietanowski wrote:

<snip>
> Is there ANY way to get THIS to work? :
>
> internet --- linux w/ iproute2 --- one net
>                   some other net
>
> And handle bandwidth management between those 2 ports?
>
> I've been looking and looking and I see no solution to it, due to that
> the top qualifier discipline is on top of the interface and not on top
> of "top box".
>
> Or am I reading it wrong?

I came to the same conclusion, i guess you are wright ...

> Any suggestions?

use the "Ingress policer qdisc" ?

> Why I'd want that is actually to use VLAN 802.1Q to a capable switch so
> that it really is just inet --linux--switch,
> physically but the cable to the switch carries the various VLANS and
> bandwidth manages them together as if they were the same interface on
> the linux box, which they in a sence are but .. not.. :)

I am working on exact the same setup ;)

I haven't done it yet myself, but i guess one should use the Ingress
policer qdisc on the "inet" interface.  Unfortunately he howto is not
giving a lot of info on that issue.

Is there someone out there who has some experience with this ?

Greetings,
jos