[LARTC] moving to 2.4 routing stuff from 2.2 masq'ing stuff...

hi, folks. a brief overview of the network:

powermac g3 running linux 2.4.0-test11. ("macachu")
ppp0: cablemodem upstream (roadrunneresque)
eth0: cablemodem
eth1: local network

generic win laptop

old sun machines (sparc 4, 5, 10, and 20)

a bay networks 32-port switch, 10/100.

macachu is running dhcpd, which is fine. everybody is visible to everybody
else on the internal network. macachu is visible to the outside network.
nobody else can get out. i set up the machine per the excellent howto at:

http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO.html

and then went to go through the howto on the LARTC-list homepage. I joined
the list about two weeks ago, knowing I was going to get myself into this
when I started using the 2.4.0 kernel and the advanced router. I followed
the instructions on the LARTC howto, but I'm stuck. I built the latest
package from ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/, so I've got all the
binaries, and everything checks out... but I feel completely clueless
because the howto doesnt explain the steps necessary to get from adding
the item to /etc/iproute2/rt_table to actually being able to ping from
192.168.0.2 to any outside address. im not sure where to go.

any heads up would be appreciated. even clue-by-fours. thanks.

alex

--
alex avriette [alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

"No man who uses EMACS is deserving of love."
	Tom Christiansen <tchrist@xxxxxxxx>,
	_Perl Cookbook_, pp. 653