[LARTC] Masq problem

Hello,

I've only just starting playing with iproute so please excuse my
probably stupid questions. I posted the following two posts to usenet
and (as yet) have not received any response.

My thanks for any replies,

Steve.

-----

Hi,

I currently have a box running Debian 2.2 in the following
configuration:-

Cable Modem ---> Eth0 --> ppp/ssh --> Eth1 --> Internal network

The ppp provides a route for my block of IP addresses and this works
fine.

However, what I would like to do is offer two gateway addresses within
the network - one which routes traffic over the VPN, the other which
(via masq) routes the traffic straight out over the Cable Modem ISP. I
originally had a seperate box hosting the CM runninng masq which the VPN

box connected through - with this setup I could choose to either use the

masq box or the VPN box as a gateway. Can I achieve the same with just a

single box?

I've been experimenting with the new (to me anyway) "iproute" feature
and stumbled across a problem when doing masq on a single machine ip:-

ip rule add from 123.123.123.171 table masq
ip route add default via 62.0.0.254 dev eth0 table masq
ip route flush cache
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -j MASQ

123.123.123.171 is an internal machine and 62.0.0.254 is the CM gateway
address.

# ip rule ls
0:      from all lookup local
32765:  from 123.123.123.171 lookup masq
32766:  from all lookup main
32767:  from all lookup default
# ip route list table masq
default via 62.0.0.254 dev eth0

If I know ping an external IP from the 123.123.123.171 machine I get the

following traffic:-

#tcpdump -i eth0 host www.test.net
tcpdump: listening on eth0
00:23:56.236673 my-cable-isp.com > www.test.net: icmp: echo request
00:23:56.250903 www.test.net > my-cable-isp.com: icmp: echo reply (DF)

So the address is being translated and the request going out on the CM
IP - and a response is received.

But.....

#tcpdump -i eth1 host www.test.net
tcpdump: listening on eth1
00:24:09.249296 123.123.123.171 > www.test.net: icmp: echo request

...I don't get the response returned to the originating machine? Any
ideas?

Notwithstanding this problem, this setup still doesn't provide me with
two gateways....

Thanks for your opinions!

Steve.

----
My second post after a bit more reading/playing.....
----

I've played around with this a bit more and using the following
command:-

ip rule add prio 329 from 123.123.123.171 nat 62.0.0.236

this causes any traffic from 123.123.123.171 to masquarade as 62.0.0.236
(my
local CM address).

Unfortunately, my default route is the ppp0 interface and although the
packets are being masquaraded correctly they are still being sent via
the
default route (ppp0) - and not via the CM.

Steve.