Re: [LARTC] A complicated routing scenario (for me at least)

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Andrew wrote:

> OK.. someplace else to look. Are the examples the only thing available
> in the way of file syntax? Also could someone help me understand how
> these files are read at startup if they exist. (what code/script is
> responsible for doing it, and what happens if there are syntax errors. I
> have a redhat 6.2 system.)

Maybe you should try it first and experiment a bit. It's rather hard to
answer on vague questions.

> Since the TOS field doesn't change (an assumption, is this true?) I
> would know which interface to route the packet back through while at the
> same time being able to reset the TOS field back to zero for routing on
> the internet.

As far as I understand your question: you can change the TOS based on the
incoming interface (and lots of other options). And I think it isn't
usefull to reset the TOS field when you send out the packets into the
internet, because most routers won't use the field and simply ignore it.
When a packets comes back, you should route it dependand on the
destination, not on the TOS field because that can be anything.

I hope I haven't told complete nonsense.

Tung