[LARTC] quantum value for voip

On Thursday 13 February 2003 00:59, Victor Cassar wrote:
> Well
>
> I understand why quantum should be at least equal to
> mtu size
>
> but let=B4s think in this
>
> if i have a dsl link and i want to give more quality
> "one voip user"
> i=B4ve already solved the dsl upload problem transfering
> the bottleneck to my shapping box.
>
> Should i change the quantum to a lower value for that
> class?
>
> any ideas or comments about this?
Do you know where quantum is used for?  It's for classes that are asking fo=
r=20
remaining bandwidth.  So if that "one voip user" is never asking for more=20
then the configured rate of its class, quantum is never used.  So it really=
=20
depends on how you configured the classes to answer that question.

And taking a quantum of 10 byte is not "wrong".  But if you send 1000byte a=
nd=20
your quantum is 10byte, htb will use 10byte in it's calculations.  So it ca=
n=20
disturb the setup, but nothing bad will happen.

Stef

=2D-=20

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"