[LARTC] Shaping incoming traffic

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 18:03, Andreas Wright wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to do the following ?
>
> To give priority to incoming  IP packets from a specific source (IP
> address).For example I have packets coming in through an interface eth1
> going to higher layer application on the same machine. I want to give
> priority to packets coming from 1.2.3.4 and maybe drop packets from other
> address at high data rates.
>
> Can we do this using ingress or some other qdisc ?
With ingress, you can only rate limit certain packets.
But you can use the imq device.  You need to patch iptables and the kernel.
After that, you can redirect all incoming packets to this virtual device and
use an egress qdisc to shape the traffic.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"