[LARTC] tc htb stats

I have an htb qdisc setup and it is shaping my traffic wonderfully but
I've just recently started taking a look at the output from the command

tc -s class ls dev eth?

Looking at the "rate" line I thought to myself..."cool I can use this to
graph throughput avg.es without having to worry about the "Sent bytes"
rolling over or being lost when the htb qdisc is recreated"  _BUT_ it
seems the rates are inaccurate.  When I look at the rate my cisco router
reports for a 5min avg and I look at a calculated 5min average (30 polls
of the tc once every 10sec) for tc they are very different.  The cisco is
reported as ~2090kb/s and tc reports my parent as ~251kb/s.  Even if I
take all the classes separately and add the averages together I get closer
but not that much closer.  Is my math wrong?  How does the tc/htb qdisc
figure the avg. rate?

--
David DeLauro

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. - Euripides

Those who do not think about their own sins make up for it by thinking incessantly about the sins of others. - C. S. Lewis  (God in the Dock, "Miserable Offenders," p. 124)

Never undertake anything for which you wouldn't have the courage to ask the blessing of heaven. - G. C. Lichtenberg (1742-1799)