Re: PRIO type qdisc

Hayden Myers
Support Manager
Skyline Network Technologies
hayden@spinbox.com
(410)583-1337 option 2

> > > I'm looking for a PRIO type qdisc which will prioritize packets (either
> > > based on DS or filters). Unlike PRIO, I need all the classes to flow into
> > > a single qdisc (HTB). For example:
> > >
> > >          PRIO
> > >
> > >   +--------+--------+
> > >
> > > Band0    Band1    Band2
> > >
> > >   +--------+--------+
> > >
> > >           HTB
> > >
> > > Does such a qdisc exist or is there a way to get all the PRIO classes to
> > > flow into a single qdisc?
> > There is no such qdisc.  And I don't think there is such way.
> >
> > But why do you want to do this?

I had wanted to do similar things a while back before 10 other things beat
me over the head and set me back.  It's funny because the above topology
is exactly what I had envisioned but read that it was impossible.  My
setup is to have a number of users who have bandwidth limiting based on an
ip but also does priority shaping as well.  I finally decided that I could
have a top level htb qdisc for the total box bandwidth with seperate
classes for the users below the box bandwidth qdisc.  Underneath each
user's class I thought that I could possibly attach a prio qdisc to do
independent priority scheduling.  I don't know if this works.  It was just
a thought I had.  If think the manpage shows that you can attach a prio
to any class.  Does this work and is it a feasable setup?