Re: PRIO type qdisc

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Hayden Myers wrote:

> > > There is no such qdisc.  And I don't think there is such way.
> > >
> > > But why do you want to do this?
> >
> I had wanted to do similar things a while back before 10 other things beat
> me over the head and set me back.  It's funny because the above topology
> is exactly what I had envisioned but read that it was impossible.  My
> setup is to have a number of users who have bandwidth limiting based on an
> ip but also does priority shaping as well.  I finally decided that I could
> have a top level htb qdisc for the total box bandwidth with seperate
> classes for the users below the box bandwidth qdisc.  Underneath each
> user's class I thought that I could possibly attach a prio qdisc to do
> independent priority scheduling.  I don't know if this works.  It was just
> a thought I had.  If think the manpage shows that you can attach a prio
> to any class.  Does this work and is it a feasable setup?

Right now we have one htb qdisc at the root and a class under it for each
user. We could put a prio qdisc at the root and use htb under each of
prio's band classes. This gets ridiculously complex though as you get more
link levels. I'd really like to be able to priorize the packets at each
node though so that higher priority packets take precendence at each link
(not just at the main link).

Paul C. Diem
PCDiem@FoxValley.net