Re: PRIO type qdisc

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Stef Coene wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 December 2002 07:05, Paul C. Diem wrote:
> > I'm looking for a PRIO type qdisc which will prioritize packets (either
> > based on DS or filters). Unlike PRIO, I need all the classes to flow into
> > a single qdisc (HTB). For example:
> >
> >          PRIO
> >
> >   +--------+--------+
> >
> > Band0    Band1    Band2
> >
> >   +--------+--------+
> >
> >           HTB
> >
> > Does such a qdisc exist or is there a way to get all the PRIO classes to
> > flow into a single qdisc?
> There is no such qdisc.  And I don't think there is such way.
>
> But why do you want to do this?

Here's what I'm really trying to accomplish: I have several links of
various speeds. Some of the links feed from other links. For example,

                   +---> B                 +---> E
                   |                       |
A <---< 10Mbps >---+---> C <---< 6Mbps >---+---> F <---< 6Mbps >---> H

                   +---> D <---< 3Mbps >---> G

ie. I have a 10Mbps link from A which feeds B, C and D, a 6Mbps link from
C which feeds E and F, a 6Mbps link from F which feeds H and a 3Mbps link
from D which feeds G. I need to provide multiple levels of service (based
on maximum bandwidth and packet priority) at each node. What I'd like to
do it use htb to cap the bandwidth and some sort of prio qdisc to
prioritize packets. The problem with prio is that I'd need to define the
entire remaining "link tree" for each band at each level. It seems I need
a qdisc which will prioritize packets based on some mark (ie. DS) but only
had one class (instead of as many classes at there are bands like prio).

It looks like gred may do something like this but I can't find any
detailed information on gred. If I'm going about this all wrong, please
let me know.

Paul C. Diem
PCDiem@FoxValley.net