Re: WonderShaper on LAN link kills to-host speed

On Tuesday, 17 December 2002, at 14:15:39 -0800,
Kenneth Porter wrote:

> What about the ingress policer would do that?

As far as I know, inbound traffic (ingress) can only police packets,
that is, discard traffic on excess hoping the other end will notice it
and slow down a bit. If you want to classify incoming traffic, create
classes, attach queuing disciplines, and those nice things available in
the outgoing traffic, you must:
a) Patch your kernel with IMQ, redirect incoming traffic to it, and
treat this device as you would any "outgoing" traffic, or...
b) ...manage bandwidth in the outgoing direction on the other network
card attached to the router (if this is a router).

I'm sure somebody in this list can explain himslef much better, and
provide links to information and example code, but hope it helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.20-xfs)