Re: HTB steals bandwidth

On Monday 16 December 2002 18:02, Robert Brueckmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just tested my HTB setup. But I have a problem. Let's assume I run the
> following script (even if it might do nothing useful, just for
> demonstrating my problem):
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/sbin/tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root handle 1: htb default 12
> /usr/sbin/tc class add dev ppp0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 125kbit ceil
> 125kbit
> /usr/sbin/tc class add dev ppp0 parent 1:1 classid 1:14 htb rate 125kbit
> ceil 125kbit prio 0
> iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o ppp0 -p tcp --dport ftp-data -j
> MARK --set-mark 14
> tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 14 fw flowid
> 1:14
>
> I have an adsl-connection (768kbit down/128kbit up), Linux kernel 2.4.20.
> The script should do nothing to an outgoing ftp-upload, since I grant all
> the available bandwith to it. No other traffic is happending during all
> that, only one ftp-upload from a computer inside the LAN. I start the
> upload without the rules above, and the upload is at a constant maximum of
> 128kbit/sec. After running the script above and waiting for say 5 seconds,
> the upload speed drops down to app. 80 kbit/s! After removing the rules
> above, the speed climbs up again to top speed.
Have you tried with other rates and ceil values?
And you defined a default class 12, but there is no such class.
Ftp-data can use dynamic ports.  So can you check that the iptables line with
"--dport ftp-data"  is really catching the ftp packets??

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"