measuring performance time in a node using ethereal/tcpdump

Hi All,

We are doing some experiment, where we are trying to
measure the processing time taken by a node when a
packate pssess throgh it.

        --------eth0[Linux-PC Router]eth1-------

We run tethereal within this PC at eth0(incomming
interface) and eth1(outgoing interface) . Then we find
out our packate in  both the captures and the
difference of two captures gives processing time of
the node

Now, the question: Is doing so a right way to measure
the processing time, as we are not sure where exactly
does libcap captures the packates. Is it right before
network driver or after it ao anywhere else?

I just came to know that On Linux, libpcap captures
packets using PF_PACKET sockets (or, on 2.0
kernels or with libpcap built on a 2.0-kernel system,
PF_INET/SOCK_PACKET sockets).

Any help on this issue will be highly appreciable.

Thanks,

Nitin