Newbie: Installing Traffic Shaping

Hello List!

My distribution is SuSE 7.3 Prof. I've successfully installed the
iproute2 packet. If I enter some tc-rules the machine returns no
errors, but the rules do not affect the bandwidth!

Does this mean that the kernel is not compiled with the necessary
options? Where can I see, which options the kernel was compiled with
(sorry, but I'm newbie)? I didn't change anything, it's a normal SuSE
7.3 distribution.

If I knew that the modules are working, I could go on trying to
install some rules, or could anyone be so kind and post a simple rule
that is slowing down my eth0 interface? I'd just like to see if the
tc-command and the kernel is working...

Thanks in advance!!

--
Yours sincerely,