Re: many ways to do load balancing (or not?)

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:30:35 -0200
Andreas Hasenack <andreas@conectiva.com.br> wrote:

> Em Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 08:55:05PM -0200, Christoph Simon escreveu:
> > My understanding is, that for equalize to work, all lines must go to
> > the same point and that must not be the end point. Also, this same
> > point must implement the equalize very much the same way.
>
> What is it that you call a "point" here (destination)? The same ISP? The
> same network?
>
> I understand that it should be the same ISP because of egress filtering,
> that is, one ISP should block packets with a source address that doesn't
> belong to the ISP supplying the link.

I was thinking of a configuration like:

	Satelite                 Main-Office

	     -> ISP1 -m-
	LAN1 -> ISP2 -m- ISPx -> linux-router2 -> ISP-BIG ->
	     -> ISP3 -m-

If I have an office with one big Internet tube (e.g., MBs), I can put
"linux-router2" there. Then all satelite offices could use one or more
modems to reach this router. That linux-router2 would NAT everybody
coming from the modems and forward the packets to ISP-BIG. Nobody in
LAN1 would even attempt to reach linux-router2, which is the last
point where their actually source addresses are known. With equalize
this should allow for a packetwise loadbalancing to increase the
effective bandwidth even for a single file transfer between a host in
LAN1 and ISP-BIG. In this configuration, all modem lines go finally to
one point (linux-router2) and that is not the endpoint. In fact, all
internal clients would use linux-router2 as the default gateway. No
cooperation of any ISP is required.

This configuration makes sense if LAN1 and linux-router2 are in
different cities and either LAN1 has no other reliable choice than
modems or wants redundancy. ISP-BIG also needs to be cheap and
reliable enough for this to make sense.

As I said before, I didn't play too much with equalize, but can't see
a essencially different scenario for a packet-wise loadbalancing.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br