Re: many ways to do load balancing (or not?)

On 21 Nov 2002 14:20:57 -0800
"William L. Thomson Jr." <support@obsidian-studios.com> wrote:

> Also I do not believe the load balancing is packet based. Usually it's
> more "connection" based. Meaning that if you request a file, more than
> likely all parts of that file will be transfered using the same route.
> If you request it again, it may take the same route or another.

It is packet based. There is no connection concept in IP.

>From the IP Command Reference:

	equalize: allow packet by packet randomization on multipath
	routes.

My understanding is, that for equalize to work, all lines must go to
the same point and that must not be the end point. Also, this same
point must implement the equalize very much the same way.

> Now if the request was generated from the inside it would still work
> some what the same. If I send two emails out at once, the first will use
> gw1 and the other will use gw2.
>
> All packets for each will travel via the same route and use the same
> gateway from start to finish.

Not using equalize.

> If it was more on a packet level, the other end would be confused.

unless there is a routing cache which will hold the path.

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@kiosknet.com.br