Re: "Fan-in/fan-out" tc filters?

Stef Coene wrote:
>>I'd like to do that to make sure that the system overall favours
>>interactive traffic before "bulk". Games and other latency-dependant
>>traffic types must perform the best on the cost of ftp-download or similar.
>>
>>Attaching pfifo_fast, PRIO or triple (low/medium/high priorities) HTB
>>qdiscs to the root is easy but it seems that it is impossible to attach
>>/one/ WRR afterwards.
>
> What do you mean with WRR?  Weighted Round Robin?  Or the wrr qdisc?

The qdisc wrr. It has the possibility to set "penalty" through different
weigths.

> If you want to improve latency for certain traffic, you can create 2 htb
> classes.  One with a lower prio parameter to get low latency and an other
> class with all other traffic.
> To give each pc on the network the same opportunity to send something, create
> 100 sub classes with parent=second class.  To get fairness / pc, you can add
> a sfq to each class.  You can do the same for the low prio class.  If you
> don't care about fairness / pc, you can add 1 esfq qdisc instead of the 100
> sub classes.

I want to make sure that given an assortment of packets containing
different kinds of traffic, say game and download, the game packets will
be in front of the download packets when they are dequeued from the
leafs of the wrr qdisc.

The idea was to have all traffic go through the same wrr qdisc. They
just had to "reordered" before going to the wrr qdisc. Does that make sense?

Partly derived suggestion:

                    DEV

                 ---------
                 |  HTB  |              "Bottleneck" - needed
                 ---------

              -------|
             /       |
            /        |
           /         |
       --------   --------
       |  HS  |   | BULK |              HS = High Speed, low latency
       --------   --------              Bulk = The rest
           |         |
       --------      |
       --------      |

                  -------
                  -------               instant penalties to heavy
                     |                  downloaders

              -------|--------
             /       |        \
            /        |         \
           /         |          \
       | SFQ |    | SFQ |    | SFQ |    x 100

This solution could very well give better performance for the filtered,
interactive traffic. I just have to make sure that the volume i HS
doesn't get to big to keep users happy.

They're so picky ;-)

--
Mvh. / Best regards,